The 3rd UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction
14่ March 2015 - 18่ March 2015
The 3rd UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR) will be held from 14 to 18 March 2015 in Sendai City, Japan. Several thousand participants are expected, including at related events linked to the World Conference under the umbrella of building the resilience of nations and communities to disasters.
The United Nations General Assembly Resolution for 2013 on International Strategy for Disaster Reduction states that the World Conference will result in a concise, focused, forward-looking, and action-oriented outcome document and will have the following objectives:
- To complete assessment and review of the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action;
- To consider the experience gained through the regional and national strategies/institutions and plans for disaster risk reduction and their recommendations as well as relevant regional agreements within the implementation of the Hyogo Framework of Action;
- To adopt a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction;
- To identify modalities of cooperation based on commitments to implement a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction;
- To determine modalities to periodically review the implementation of a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction.
Delegates from HelpAge International are going to attend and advocate for inclusion of older people in to the post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction. Along with participation in the exhibition and World Bank session with older people from Japan and Philippines, we are going to officially launch the first Disaster Risk and Age Index, ranking 190 countries across the world on the disaster risk faced by older people, on the IGNITE stage.