HelpAge Asia Pacific regional office has participated in forums and discussions on COVID-19 responses and its impact on older people. We jointly organised webinars with international and regional agencies in the region to represent the voice of older people regarding their experiences, needs and contribution in the context of COVID-19 pandemic, as well as to call for age-inclusive policies and responses.
HelpAge webinar series
With support from the Asian Development Bank (ADB), HelpAge is organising a series of webinars consisting of three topics which are ‘Inequality’, ‘Climate Change’, ‘Age-friendly Community’.
The first of our webinar series titled “How can we reduce inequalities in later life as societies age?” was organised on 14 October 2020. It was co-hosted by the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and ESCAP.
The objective of the webinar is to strengthen clarity and consensus about the priority steps governments can take to reduce inequality. The webinar was moderated by Kaveh Zahedi, Deputy Executive Secretary, ESCAP. Discussants were Dr Sania Nishtar, Special Assistant to Prime Minister on Poverty Alleviation and Social Safety Division from Pakistan and Dr Jomo Kwame Sundaram, Senior Adviser, Khazanah Research Institute from Malaysia. A video presentation from Dr. David E. Bloom, Professor of Economics and Demography, Harvard University, T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and a video on Voices of Older People: Reflection on Lifecourse and Inequality, were presented.
Find more detail of this webinar, including concept note and research paper, here.
A briefing paper on reducing inequalities in later life as societies age was produced as part of this webinar and was being circulated to various UN agencies, government officials, INGOs and civil societies in the region.
On 4 June 2020, we organised a webinar titled “COVID-19, communities and older persons” in partnership with ESCAP, UNFPA, ASEM Global Ageing Center (AGAC) and the Japan Agency for Gerontological Evaluation Study (JAGES) to discuss how communities play an essential role in caring for and supporting older people in need.
Co-organised by ASEAN Secretariat, Tsao Foundation and HelpAge, a virtual ‘ASEAN Forum’ focusing on gender and ageing was held on 29 June 2020. It aimed to highlight the vulnerabilities of older women during the COVID-19 crisis and promote gender-equitable and age-sensitive responses in addressing the COVID19 and beyond in the region.
List of relevant webinars on COVID-19 and its impact on older people
UN agencies and our alliance focusing on older people’s issues have conducted several webinars on a wide range of topics. We have collected this compilation of relevant webinars and continue to update the list. If you found webinars missing and would like us to include them to the list, please let us know.
- Arogya webinars
- Bond webinars
- British Gerontology Society (BGS) webinars
- Centre for Ageing Better webinars
- Concern Worldwide webinars
- CoronaOlder webinars
- COVID-19 and Mental Health webinars
- COVID-19 & Older People Webinar Series by Tsao Foundation, ILC Singapore, and Ageing Asia
- Geneva NGO Committee on Ageing webinars
- Healthier Populations Webinar Series and Promoting health throughout the life-course during COVID-19 pandemic and Healthier webinar series by WHO SEARO
- IFA Virtual Town Hall Series: COVID 19 and Older People webinars
- ILAS Webinar Series: Living and Learning Empathy in Covid-19
- Linking Social Protection with humanitarian cash webinars
- LSE’s public event series – COVID-19: The Policy Response
- LTCcovid webinars
- Manchester Institute for Collaborative Research on Ageing (MICRA) webinars
- NUI Galway webinars
- READY initiative webinars
- Social protection responses to COVID-19 webinar series
- UNDRR Asia-Pacific COVID-19 webinar series
- World Economic Forum: COVID-19 and Ageing Society dialogues
Other webinars listed by month
Updated 22 December 2020